Short bobs were undoubtedly one of the biggest hair trend of this winter. Tons of celebrities traded their long hair in for a cute and sexy short do. But I feel it’s only a matter of time before the Pinterest photos of beautiful, long cascading hair rocking those perfect beachy waves start resurfacing again, and the dash to grow out your hair long again for summer will ensue.
With summer still a few months away, now is the best time to start the process of growing it out so that by the time the warm weather hits, it’ll be that perfect envy-worthy length once more. I’ve been growing out my hair for a bit now and have seen great results, thanks to some helpful advice from my hairdresser. So if you’re looking to grow your hair out, here are five tips to follow to get you beautiful long hair as soon as possible!
- Avoid heat! This is the first rule anyone will tell you if you want to grow your hair out quickly. Using straighteners, blowdryers, and curling irons all the time causes a lot of damage to your hair, as you’re actually frying it each time you use one of these products. Try to avoid them whenever possible, and if you have to use them, make sure to spray a good heat protectant first.
- Take your vitamins. Taking a daily women’s vitamin will help provide your hair with the extra vitamins and minerals it needs to promote proper hair growth. Plus it keeps your body and skin healthy too.
- Rinse in cold water. Everyone loves a warm shower, but rinsing in hot water actually still counts as using heat on your hair. It can suck out all the moisture and leave your hair looking dull and lifeless. On the other hand, cold water locks in the moisture to your hair and keeps it looking smooth and shiny. It might be a hard switch to make, but the results will definitely be worth it.
- Use coconut oil. I recently started doing a coconut oil hair mask twice a week and so far the results have been great. I put the oil on my hair at night before I go to sleep then wash it out in the morning, and it makes my hair incredibly soft, smooth, and hydrated. If you’re struggling with dry hair during these winter months, coconut oil can definitely make all the difference.
- Don’t cut it. Many people will tell you that in order to grow your hair long you need to still trim the dead ends every 6 weeks. However, this rumor is counter-productive to your goal and can actually make the process take twice as long. Your hair only grows about an inch each month, and if you see a hairdresser every six weeks for a half inch, to an inch trim, you’ll be waiting ages before you see progress. Instead, follow the above tips to keep your hair super healthy and postpone your next haircut for a few months even. I waited six months before having another haircut, but keeping it healthy meant she only needed to take an inch off, even though I waited so long, meaning I didn’t have to lose out on all my hard-earned progress.
Growing out your hair can be a process, but I feel the end result is always worth it!
What tips do you use to grow your hair out long? I’d love hearing more suggestions!